Contact Your U.S. Congressional Representatives Regarding the WEP/GPO
Suggestions for Letters, Postcards and Emails regarding WeP and GPO
- I paid into Social Security and should have a fair return. I should not be penalized because I am a public employee.
- State how you are being hurt or may be hurt by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and the Government Pension Offset (GPO).
- You paid for a (social security) benefit that is being denied.
- Ask for the repeal of the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
Here are some possible statements that may get you started:
- My total pension is less because I moved from private employment to public employment. Please repeal these unfair provisions.
- My spouse paid top dollars into Social Security and I am denied my benefits because of Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset. Please fix this broken system.
- I moved from public employment to private employment. Because of the Windfall Elimination Provision, my total pension is less than if I had stayed in education.
- I moved from private employment to public employment and because of Windfall Elimination Provision my total pension is less than if I had stayed in private employment.
- My well-to-do neighbor receives Social Security and a company pension. There is no offset because he receives two pensions. Why should I be penalized because I taught school in California?
- Please repeal the Government Pension Offset because of the drastic impact on widows and widowers who gave their lives to public education in non-Social Security employment.
Donate to Raise Awareness
Social Security benefits of millions of Americans are negatively impacted by The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)
and the Government Pension Offset (GPO) yet most public school employees around the country are unaware of this legislation.
We are actively working to raise awareness regarding this situation but cannot do it alone. With your support we will:
- Inform and educate public school employees and their families through our Hill Education Seminars regarding these two acts
- Empower those affected to become politically active to undo this unfair legislation
- Work to assure all public school employees knowledgeably plan for a financially secure retirement
”I learned a lot about retirement and social security that I was unaware of.- HEA Seminar Attendee